From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] App/plugin to play CD?
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 00:47:15
1 On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 05:52:07PM +0200, Harald Arnesen wrote
2 > Stef?n Istv?n <stefi@××××××××××××.hu> writes:
3 >
4 > > h?tf? 08 m?jus 2006 11.32 d?tummal Walter Dnes ezt ?rta:
5 > >> I've been so used to playing mp3 files that I'm lost with real live
6 > >> audio CDs (not a data CD with mp3 files). The XMMS docs aren't really
7 > >> helpful. Do I need an additional plug-in? mplayer is worse.
8 > >> "mplayer /dev/cdrom" tries to play a file by that name. I emerged
9 > >> cdplay and "cdplay -c -v" gets the CD spinning and the output indicates
10 > >> that it is playing, but I get no sound. I have unmuted the CD player
11 > >> and set its volume via alsactl. One additional complication is that
12 > >> there is no headphone jack near the CD tray, so I assume I have to go
13 > >> via the soundcard.
14 > >
15 > > Has your CD player been connected with your sound card? If not, I think you
16 > > won't hear any sound.
17 >
18 > You don't need a cable from the CD player to the sound card with xmms:
19 >
20 > Options -> Preferences -> Audio I/O Plugins -> Audio CD Reader ->
21 > Configure -> Output -> Read Digital CD Audio
22
23 My main problem seems to be that (with one exception) xmms doesn't
24 even get the CD spinning. Here's what I've checked so far...
25
26 - alsamixer CD unmuted and volume set to 77
27 - I am a member of audio and cdrom groups
28 - the "cdplay" program sees the number of tracks and and their
29 lengths on the cdrom. "cdplay -c -v" goes through the motions of
30 playing the cdrom. The cdrom spins, and cdplay lists each track as
31 it's played... but there is no sound.
32 - /dev/cdrom is correctly symlinked to /dev/hda
33 - I've tried both the xmms-cdaudio and xmms-cdread plugins.
34 xmms-cdaudio has a "Check CD drive" option. When I click it, the
35 cdrom spins, and I get a list of tracks which matches the output I
36 get from "cdplay --listtracks".
37
38 But when I tell xmms to play AudioCD, it just sists there. The CD
39 does not spin at all.
42 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
43 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
44 --