From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PostgreSQL Vs MySQL @Uber
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2016 07:16:35
1 On Saturday, July 30, 2016 06:38:01 AM Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 6:24 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
3 wrote:
4 > > On 29/07/2016 22:58, Mick wrote:
5 > >> Interesting article explaining why Uber are moving away from PostgreSQL.
6 > >> I am
7 > >> running both DBs on different desktop PCs for akonadi and I'm also
8 > >> running
9 > >> MySQL on a number of websites. Let's which one goes sideways first. :p
10 > >>
11 > >> https://eng.uber.com/mysql-migration/
12 > >
13 > > I don't think your akonadi and some web sites compares in any way to Uber
14 > > and what they do.
15 > >
16 > > FWIW, my Dev colleagues support and entire large corporate ISP's
17 > > operational and customer data on PostgreSQL-9.3. With clustering. With no
18 > > db-related issues :-)
19 >
20 > Agree, you'd need to be fairly large-scale to have their issues,
21
22 And also have to design your database by people who think MySQL actually
23 follows common SQL standards.
24
25 > but I
26 > think the article was something anybody interested in databases should
27 > read. If nothing else it is a really easy to follow explanation of
28 > the underlying architectures.
29
30 Check the link posted by Douglas.
31 Ubers article has some misunderstandings about the architecture with
32 conclusions drawn that are, at least also, caused by their database design and
33 usage.
34
35 > I'll probably post this to my LUG mailing list. I think one of the
36 > Postgres devs lurks there so I'm curious to his impressions.
37 >
38 > I was a bit surprised to hear about the data corruption bug. I've
39 > always considered Postgres to have a better reputation for data
40 > integrity.
41
42 They do.
43
44 > And of course almost any FOSS project could have a bug. I
45 > don't know if either project does the kind of regression testing to
46 > reliably detect this sort of issue.
47
48 Not sure either, I do think PostgreSQL does a lot with regression tests.
49
50 > I'd think that it is more likely
51 > that the likes of Oracle would (for their flagship DB (not for MySQL),
52
53 Never worked with Oracle (or other big software vendors), have you? :)
54
55 > and they'd probably be more likely to send out an engineer to beg
56 > forgiveness while they fix your database).
57
58 Only if you're a big (as in, spend a lot of money with them) customer.
59
60 > Of course, if you're Uber
61 > the hit you'd take from downtime/etc isn't made up for entirely by
62 > having somebody take a few days to get everything fixed.
65 Joost