From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PostgreSQL Vs MySQL @Uber
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 22:38:18
1 On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 6:24 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 29/07/2016 22:58, Mick wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Interesting article explaining why Uber are moving away from PostgreSQL.
5 >> I am
6 >> running both DBs on different desktop PCs for akonadi and I'm also running
7 >> MySQL on a number of websites. Let's which one goes sideways first. :p
8 >>
9 >> https://eng.uber.com/mysql-migration/
13 > I don't think your akonadi and some web sites compares in any way to Uber
14 > and what they do.
15 >
16 > FWIW, my Dev colleagues support and entire large corporate ISP's operational
17 > and customer data on PostgreSQL-9.3. With clustering. With no db-related
18 > issues :-)
21 Agree, you'd need to be fairly large-scale to have their issues, but I
22 think the article was something anybody interested in databases should
23 read. If nothing else it is a really easy to follow explanation of
24 the underlying architectures.
25
26 I'll probably post this to my LUG mailing list. I think one of the
27 Postgres devs lurks there so I'm curious to his impressions.
28
29 I was a bit surprised to hear about the data corruption bug. I've
30 always considered Postgres to have a better reputation for data
31 integrity. And of course almost any FOSS project could have a bug. I
32 don't know if either project does the kind of regression testing to
33 reliably detect this sort of issue. I'd think that it is more likely
34 that the likes of Oracle would (for their flagship DB (not for MySQL),
35 and they'd probably be more likely to send out an engineer to beg
36 forgiveness while they fix your database). Of course, if you're Uber
37 the hit you'd take from downtime/etc isn't made up for entirely by
38 having somebody take a few days to get everything fixed.
41 Rich