From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32bit or 64bit
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 04:25:30
1 On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > <SNIP>
5 >>>> So what is recommended? There are as such no special use cases to go 64bit
6 >>>> for me.
7 >>>>
8 >>>
9 >>> Why 32? ... Flash, win32 codecs, probably Wine but not sure as it has
10 >>> been years...
11 >>
12 >> 64-bit WINE worked for me. Even for running 32-bit WoW. (Though I was
13 >> running a multilib profile. Uncertain if that had an impact.)
14 >>
15 >>>
16 >>> Why 64? ... Virtualization...
17 >>>
18 >>> Depends on what you want and/or need.
19 >>
20 >> IMO, it's worth the 'overhead' to run 64-bit, if only for the greater
21 >> number of GPRs and other architectural improvements. There's honestly
22 >> a lot of good stuff in x86-64 beyond the larger address space. The
23 >> increased address space also helps long-lived programs avoid address
24 >> space fragmentation.
25 >>
26 >> --
27 >> :wq
30 > Agreed. I only boot 64-bit here, but different than all you
31 > heavy-lifters my machines are 98% stable, 2% ~amd64. That said I do
32 > have problems not only with Flash on my machine with 2 Nvidia cards
33 > but also with OpenGL. However none of that on any other 64-bit
34 > machines.
35 >
36 > As for the win32 codec stuff I use Windows VMs to watch any stuff I
37 > want to watch, and a fairly trim Gentoo 32-bit VM so that I can run
38 > Linux apps to convert certain Windows format files, etc.
39
40 FWIW, I run 98% (or thereabouts ;) ) stable, too.
41
42 No trouble with Flash on either nVidia or AMD. No trouble playing
43 Diablo III or WoW on WINE with apps-emu/playonlinux and nVidia.
44 Recently switched to an AMD GPU. No trouble with Flash there, either.
45 Haven't tried WoW, but I've got lots of weird artifacts in Diablo III
46 which don't make the game unplayable, but might to a less-tolerant
47 person.
48
49 This is all on an amd64 system. I don't know what it's like in 32-bit
50 x86 on Gentoo, as I've never run that form of Gentoo; I let multilib
51 handle things there.
54 :wq