From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fcron & fetchmail & procmail and the "why not?"
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:46:35
1 On 21 Sep 2009, at 17:06, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > ...
3 > To not to involve stdout was the hack!
4 >
5 > Currently I am running fetchmail via fcron and does what it should
6 > since fetchmail directly reports to /dev/null.
7
8 Sorry to seem like a numptie, but are you saying you fixed it?
9
10 The problem was solved merely by adding the redirect?
11
12 > I think I will change the whole suff to run in daemon mode, since I
13 > think (to be read as: "...not know for sure...") that it is a little
14 > bit more performant. Or?
15
16 I run as user, 2 users, each with their own .fetchmailrc & each
17 adding their own entry into their own crontab. I.E. just like you have
18 it now. I have been running my system this way for years.
19
20 The notion of daemon mode bothers me, because it must be run by root
21 (IIRC) and the various users all put their separate private email
22 passwords in a single file in /etc OTOH, the daemon mode
23 configuration file is readable only by root, and if the root account
24 is compromised then the users' private .fetchmailrc files can be read
25 anywhere.
26
27 Fetchmail is a bit of a kludge, really. I wouldn't worry too much
28 about being best conformant.
29
30 Stroller.