From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is it possible to move from hardened profile?
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 22:26:50
1 On 01/14/2012 04:56 PM, walt wrote:
2 > On 01/14/2012 01:05 PM, czernitko wrote:
3 >> Hello, I wonder whether it is possible to convert hardened desktop
4 >> box into box with non-hardened profile? I guess I would have to
5 >> recompile world with vanilla compiler (no hardening) and compile
6 >> gentoo-sources kernel (no prob with those), but how can I get clean,
7 >> non-hardened profile for portage (if it is even possible)?
8 >
9 > Short answer: I have no idea :) But I'd like to ask why you want to
10 > dump the hardened profile. Is there a significant disadvantage to
11 > the hardening? I've been wanting for awhile to try hardening but I'm
12 > basically to lazy to Just Do It(TM).
15 Virtualization is iffy if you're not careful which options you enable in
16 the kernel.
17
18 Rarely, an upstream developer will do something weird in his code and it
19 will break an unstable package.
20
21 They say the nvidia drivers don't work, but they do anyway.
22
23 Chances are, you won't notice any difference, but you'll gain a tiny bit
24 of peace of mind.