From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ncurses: reductio ad absurdum
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 19:10:21
1 On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 06:45:47PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > There are all sorts of stupidities in it - like `push' and `pull' not
3 > being opposites
4
5 That's fair.
6
7 > `clone' not producing a clone, but a new repository
8 > radically different from the original.
9
10 That is not true. It is a clone, just with all of the most recent
11 versions of the files checked out and availble for editing.
12
13 > Unnecessary arcane teminology, and standard terminology perversely
14 > used to mean something different.
15
16 That's also fair. I remember reading a bunch of stuff about the git team
17 generally doing the exact opposite of Subversion whenever they could
18 because they disliked it so much.
19
20 > > If you understand the design you'll know that there must be a way to
21 > > do something, but you'll spend 15min figuring out which command line
22 > > utility does it best.
23 >
24 > I don't want to have to understand the design. I just want to be a
25 > user. I've got enough things competing for limited mental capacity as
26 > it is.
27
28 What? I don't think Rich means understanding all of the implementation
29 details, just high-level concepts like what a branch is, what a commit
30 is, and merging and rebasing. These topics - branching, merging, etc. -
31 are central to how a team works, so it is important to understand them
32 and how whatever VCS you're using deals with them.
33
34 Alec