From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ncurses: reductio ad absurdum
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 19:29:29
1 On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Alec Ten Harmsel
2 <alec@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 06:45:47PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I don't want to have to understand the design. I just want to be a
6 >> user. I've got enough things competing for limited mental capacity as
7 >> it is.
8 >
9 > What? I don't think Rich means understanding all of the implementation
10 > details, just high-level concepts like what a branch is, what a commit
11 > is, and merging and rebasing. These topics - branching, merging, etc. -
12 > are central to how a team works, so it is important to understand them
13 > and how whatever VCS you're using deals with them.
16 Well, I'd go a bit further. To really appreciate git you should
17 understand git objects and their references, what a commit, tree, and
18 blob are. Also, the whole copy-on-write concept and content-hashing
19 concept.
20
21 I used to think git looked really complicated until I sat through a
22 one hour talk that focused mostly on the data model. Once you
23 understand the data model, you understand everything. That doesn't
24 take a lot of time.
25
26 It does take a moderate amount of time spent learning the right
27 things. They're not found in the manpages.
28
29 I'm not disagreeing at all with many of the gripes about git. I still
30 share most of them, but now I feel like I'm the one in control and the
31 fact that git pull doesn't rebase by default is just an annoyance and
32 not a source of arcane behavior.
33
34 Like I said, beautiful design, horrible interface.
37 Rich