From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 20:01:52
1 Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 9:07 PM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >> Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com> writes:
5 >>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>>
7 >>>> It is even more frustrating that these so-called predictable network
8 >>>> names actually can change on a reboot, it's happened to me more than
9 >>>> once when multiple network cards are detected in a different order.
10 >>>
11 >>>>From Kay Sievers in [1]:
12 >>>
13 >>> <BEGIN>
14 >>> Btw, predictable means it will not change between reboots, that names
15 >>> will not depend on enumeration order within the same setup. It does
16 >>> not mean or promise, that added kernel/driver/firmware features will
17 >>> not result in different names. That is expected behavior.
18 >>> </END>
19 >>>
20 >>> [1] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2015-October/034614.html
21 >>
22 >> So the names will not change when rebooting and are to be expected to
23 >> possibly change at any time.
24 >>
25 >> How is that more reliable?
26 >
27 > It's more reliable than using the kernel's names because the names
28 > won't change UNLESS there's kernel/driver/firmware change for that
29 > NIC. I doubt that these changes occur that often. Perhaps someone else
30 > knows.
31
32 What happens more often: That a network card is replaced with a
33 different one or that the software changes?