From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] NetworkManager and/or WICD
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 02:50:34
1 Does anyone have any experience getting either NetworkManager or WICD to
2 work properly under Gentoo? When I attempt to use either of those
3 utilities to get onto my wireless network, the NIC refuses to stay
4 connected to the base station for more than a few seconds at a time.
5 Instead, it continually disassociates and deauthenticates, only for
6 nm/wicd to hop right back on. However, if I manually configure
7 wpa_supplicant for a given SSID and start it via the init script
8 directly, I don't have any such problems.
9
10 Additionally, I can't get either applet to actually save settings (like
11 known networks, passwords, etc.) which means that I'm continually
12 interrupted by a prompt for the wireless password.
13
14 What I'm really looking for is a graphical utility that will let me
15 connect to specific newly-detected wireless networks without having to
16 edit the WPA configuration and restart it; NetworkManager and WICD seem
17 to be the most popular. Any other suggestions would also be welcome.
18
19 --Mike