From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sound driver
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 15:59:52
1 Tero Grundström wrote:
2 > On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Holly Bostick wrote:
5 >>>FYI,
6 >>>
7 >>>I've had alsa compiled 100% static in kernel - worked perfectly.
8 >>>
9 >>>I now have:
10 >>>
11 >>>- alsa compiled 100% as modules
12 >>>- nothing in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
13 >>>- alsasound added only to bootlevel
14 >>>
15 >>>Works perfectly.
16 >>>
17 >>
18 >> Yes, of course you have, Tero-- you seem to be one of the fortunate
19 >>few whose computer always works as advertised, under all conditions.
20 >>
21 >>You lucky dog, you ;-) .
24 > Well, don't know about that... I've also had problems with alsa with
25 > some old udev versions. Thats why I compiled alsa static in the kernel
26 > at one point.
27 >
28 > However I really feel that your way of setting up alsa is overly
29 > complicated. And that will only confuse people, especially newbies.
30 > IMO, there must be something else wrong with the setup.
31 >
32 > BTW, when was the last time you actually tried to setup alsa the simple
33 > way, as instructed in the docs?
36 You've got me; this setup was hacked together under an old udev version,
37 where compiling all the modules statically simply did not work for me,
38 and I have updated udev about 3 times since then.
39
40 But I didn't mean to imply my workaround was anything but that, nor that
41 the problem I had been working around still existed. I don't know, to be
42 honest. I've been too busy hotfixing PAM/login/DISPLAY issues,
43 reconfiguring my system to use KDE programs because GNOME/CORBA/gconf
44 broke out of the blue for reasons unknown, and I'm trying to bail the
45 boat and avoid a complete reinstall (which would be even more of a pain
46 than all the emerge -e s and emerge --newuse s that I've been doing for
47 the past two weeks, but it's getting to be a photo finish in terms of
48 which strategy is more tedious at this point). Atm, I'm just glad that I
49 have sound, given the general instability I've got going on, and
50 checking to see if alsasound would continue to work if I did it "right"
51 is just not high on my list of priorities right now. So I've left it as
52 it was.
53
54 But you probably are correct that I could now configure alsasound
55 "properly" and it would continue to work. I just changed some kernel
56 modules anyway and recompiled, so I might as well fix alsasound too
57 before I reboot (got the end of an emerge -e gnome-light going; 2
58 packages left, so it will be a bit before I reboot). So thanks for
59 reminding me ;-) .
60
61 Holly
65 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list