From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo on a Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 17:52:29
1 >>> I just received the new Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook and I'm trying to
2 >>> install Gentoo but I can't get install-amd64-minimal-20120223.iso to
3 >>> boot via a USB key.
4 >>
5 >> Have you tested your boot USB keys on another machine?
6 >
7 > Gentoo is installed but I can't get my USB->ethernet adapter to bring
8 > up an eth0 (or any other) interface.  It works if I boot the Kubuntu
9 > USB key.  I've definitely built the correct driver into the kernel
10 > (mcs7380).  I'm going through an emerge world right now to bring
11 > everything up to date.  Is there anything else I might need to do?
12 >
13 > - Grant
14
15 I enabled some more kernel options under USB Network Adapters and it's
16 working now. The install is about done but there were a few
17 peculiarities:
18
19 1. fdisk won't let me specify a start block before 2048 even though I
20 deleted all partitions.
21
22 2. grub-install reported something like:
23
24 fd0
25 hd0
26 hd1
27
28 where hd1 was the USB key. Should I fix this to remove the USB key from grub?
29
30 3. Portage complains about duplicate repositories. I think it has to
31 do with the fact that I ran emerge --sync without downloading and
32 extracting an initial snapshot.
33
34 Please let me know if you have any idea on these.
35
36 - Grant