From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] multilib - do I need it?
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 21:30:26
1 On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 02:12:40PM -0300, Francisco Ares wrote
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > How does one know previously which packages will require 32 bit ABI ?
5 >
6 > I have two systems (among others) to consider: one is very simple, built
7 > using as fewer packages as possible, it is the development system for an
8 > embedded equipment, and it is 64 bit ABI only - no multilib; the other is
9 > a general purpose workstation, with lots of packages, and someday, by some
10 > forgotten reason, I needed to install emul-linux-* .
11
12 Can you attach your /var/lib/portage/world file to a post here? I
13 assume you have nothing embarressing in it. Almost all applications
14 that used to require 32-bit emulation now run natively on 64-bit
15 no-multilib. I recently upgraded a 7+ year old machine from 32-bit
16 Gentoo to 64-bit-only Gentoo (no-multilib) and I don't have any apps
17 with problems as 64-bit only.
20 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
21 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications