From: "Paweł Madej" <linux@××××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Size of portage tree
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:21:27
1 Ryan Viljoen wrote:
2 > If you do a:
3 > du -hs /usr/portage/distfiles
4 > and a
5 > du -hs /usr/portage
6 >
7 > You will see that the majority of the space is taken up by the
8 > distfiles. This is where emerge stores all the packages that it
9 > downloads when installing them on your system. To decrease the size of
10 > the directory you can go through it and delete older versions of
11 > packages such as:
12 >
13 > I have:
14 > zlib-1.2.1.tar.bz2
15 > zlib-1.2.3.tar.bz2
16 >
17 > So you could delete zlib-1.2.1.tar.bz2 since there is a new version. I
18 > think there are some scripts out there that do such things but I havent
19 > bothered to find them. I wouldnt suggest deleting all the files since if
20 > you want to reinstall or add new packages they may require files that
21 > have been already downloaded ie: save you the time and bandwidth of
22 > redownloading them.
23
24 if you use getdelta to fetch updates you can set
25
26 REMOVE_OLD=true
27
28 in /etc/deltup/getdelta.rc and it will delete old file as above
29 zlib-1.2.1.tar.bz2 after successfull make of new version from patches.
30
31 More about getdelta on [1]
32
33 [1] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Deltup