From: Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SUSPECTED SPAM] [OT] Best *SIMPLE* firewall?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 23:49:03
1 Am Wed, 28 Feb 2018 16:15:59 -0500
2 schrieb "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org>:
3
4 > Is there something besides iptables? It seems to be like
5 > systemd/perl/python, continuously expanding its scope. And no, I'm
6 > not looking for an "easy-peasy front-end gui" that'll probably pull
7 > in 90% of QT as dependancies. I fondly remember IPCHAINS.
8
9 I don't know what you're looking for exactly.
10
11 If you want a command line tool for configuring your firewall with an
12 easier syntax than iptables you could try ufw.
13
14 I don't know nftables, yet, but from what I read so far they seem to
15 got their inspiration from ufw's syntax.
16
17 ufw itself uses iptables and generates iptables rules.
18
19 Principally all those firewall tools do the same. They configure the
20 kernel's own firewall netfilter. And most if not all of those tools use
21 themselves iptables which is besides nftables the official tool for
22 configuring netfilter.
23
24 Fun fact: iptables is the successor of ipchains. And it's a very long
25 time ago that ipchains was replaced by iptables.