From: Space Cake <spacecakex@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] move to xfce and forget kde and gnome
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 15:20:58
1 On 2011. aug. 19., péntek, 16.50.09 CEST, András Csányi wrote:
2 > 2011/8/19 Space Cake <spacecakex@×××××.com>:
3 >> hi,
4 >>
5 >> after playing a lot with desktop environment first I've decided to move
6 >> from kde to gnome because kde is too "shine" and eat too much and
7 >> contains a lot of feature which I don't really need.. gnome is good but
8 >> still too fat.... so finally I've found Xfce which is perfect for my
9 >> needs... :)
10 >>
11 >> my question is what is the easiest way to get rid of kde/gnome stuff? is
12 >> this enough to change my useflags to -kde and -gnome? Is there any list
13 >> what I can safely unmerge in this case?
14 >
15 > I think we agree. Nowadays I use xfce because KDE is hungry and makes
16 > my system slower. But there is a few application (amarok - big
17 > bloatware but I like the amarok services, umbrello, krusader, kile,
18 > etc) which is needed and I always have a full KDE install beside xfce.
19 > What is your strategy? You will not use any KDE related application or
20 > if something is needed you will install it separately?
21
22 I'll try to avoid as many kde/gnome application as I can :) I don't
23 really like them because I want to have my window in front of me right
24 when click on the icon :). I just started to clean-up my useflags,
25 changed to desktop profile and I'll leave my machine here for the
26 weekend to re-emerge everything is needed for this change. I'm sure
27 some revdep-rebuild and depclean still waiting for me and also I think
28 lot of kde / gnome libs will remain because of the dependencies...
29
30 Laszlo