From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linksys router BEFSR41 loosing internet
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 01:06:57
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > Most DSL/Cable modems have a web interface built into them where you
3 > can view status, diagnostics and most importantly logs. I think if you
4 > can google your modem model and figure out how to access this, it
5 > might provide some useful information. (Older modems might have a
6 > telnet interface rather than web)
9 I can access it with Seamonkey. I had to do that to get it to work at
10 all. The router and the modem were both trying to get 192.168.1.1 and
11 the fight was on. Same problem I ran into once before. Anyway.
12
13 > Is the light red normally, or is that indicative of a problem? Does
14 > the manual say what the color of the light means?
17 Before I bought the router, the light would be red if I had my puter cut
18 off for a while. The modem senses the ethernet is not hooked up and
19 logs off. As soon as I cut the puter back on, it goes green again. It
20 usually does this when the BIOS screen is up or by the time the grub
21 screen comes up. It's pretty quick on that.
22
23 > Has it ever happened in day-time or does it only happen at night? I
24 > wonder if the ISP does some kind of reset and the modem's not
25 > reconnecting automatically.
28 I have had it to do this during the day and night. I didn't think about
29 that before tho. They do reset about 4 or so in the morning usually on
30 Wednesday. It is so fast that even Seamonkey doesn't time out. It will
31 knock me off youtube if I am watching a video tho. I guess it looses
32 the stream. Other than that, it just appears the website is a little
33 slow for a few seconds.
34
35 > The opposite of the disconnect that Walt mentioned would be some kind
36 > of keepalive setting. Since you're running Folding which uses network
37 > data I don't think you should be triggering any kind of idle
38 > disconnect (unless it has a kb/sec threshold). DSL is usually
39 > advertised as "always on" so it seems weird if they would do that to
40 > you.
43 The modem is set as always on. I did that when I first got it and it
44 has not given me any trouble until the router got into the mix. I also
45 have ntp running. When it went offline last time, my clock was off 30
46 seconds. :/
47
48 > I went through 2 cable modems within a month because they kept dying
49 > in one way or another. I didn't own them so I just drove 3 miles down
50 > the street and swapped it for a new one at the local cable company
51 > office.
52 >
53 > It seems like more of the computer and electronics problems I have (or
54 > that people bring to me) are related to power supply failures than any
55 > other reason. If you have another compatible power supply, maybe you
56 > could try using it for a couple days to see if it makes any
57 > difference.
61 I don't have another P/S to test. When it is dead tho, the lights are
62 on on the router. I can even access it through the web interface. It
63 just doesn't wake up the connection to the internet. It acts like it
64 cuts off the connection between the router and the modem and just
65 doesn't reconnect when there is activity.
66
67 Little update. I went to town a bit ago and it was still up when I got
68 back. I also noticed that it went back to 192.168.1.1 for its address
69 too. I'm not sure why it did that but it did. Maybe it is going to
70 hang in there for a while. Time will tell. I figure since I posted the
71 question, it will fix itself. lol
72
73 Thanks.
74