From: Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] layman tree (re)location - /usr/local
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 15:22:07
1 Answer in a neighbor thread reminded me of a question that puzzled me
2 from the start: what's the rationale behind moving layman tree
3 from /usr/portage/local to /usr/local/portage?
4
5 I can see why all ebuilds belong in the same /usr/portage tree -
6 separate (optimized) fs, easy to backup (snapshot?) or omit from backup
7 (a lot of small files, completely irrelevant to system operation), easy
8 to share between several machines along w/ packages built from it,
9 and /usr/portage/packages should be inconsistent w/o layman tree, if
10 it's used at all... but moving it to /usr/local, which isn't used
11 by gentoo at all seem completely irrational to me, why?
12
13 Oh, and I know that I can keep it all in the same place, of course, and
14 I always do just that, still...
17 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net