From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Me, and how to troll LIKE A BOSS.
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 20:07:20
1 On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 8:13 PM, Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > anything intelligent if I tried. Back in the golden age, for about ten
4 > years even! my approach to updating my system worked great. Then emerge
5 > got ornery and stopped letting the necessary, cathartic, inevitable,
6 > trainwreck take place, which is actually a good thing because the
7 > partial-good, update which seems nightmarish on first analysis,
8 > ***ACTUALLY CORRECTS ITSELF WHEN THE SCRIPT IS RUN REPEATEDLY UNTIL NO
9 > PROBLEMS REMAIN AND THE SYSTEM IS PRISTINE AND GOOD FOR REBOOT***. I
10 > have done this happily many many many many times. It actually works that
11 > way and I was gleefully singing gentoo's praise for many years.
12
13 I only check back into this mailing list like every few months to hear
14 about major changes. The "how to troll like a boss" thread kept
15 getting marked as "Important" on my inbox so I had a peek at Mr
16 Grimes' history and here we are.
17
18 The above was raked from Mr Grimes' most recent miracle, and I have to
19 say, it feels strangely satisfying for this mailing list to get a
20 taste of its own medicine.
21
22 Alan, if you _really_ wanted to troll like a boss, you could point out
23 that this is how a large part of this mailing list treats the sysvinit
24 vs systemd split; that telling someone to "learn something new" even
25 though their practice has worked for a decade isn't "the Unix way",
26 not like anyone understands "the Unix way" outside of a bunch of
27 idealized platitudes :P
28
29 But then again, I've told people off for refusing to learn something
30 new multiple times so I get a free pass from any claims to hypocrisy,
31 so here goes (deep breath):
32
33 LEARN SOMETHING NEW. YOU FUCKING IDIOT.
34
35 What you were doing was broken from the very beginning; you just never
36 realized it because the breakage was more manageable back then. Less
37 deps; less change; less packages; less code; less contributors; less
38 tinfoil-hatters who couldn't repair an LVM or "init thingy" to save
39 their life.
40
41 It's literally no different than a spaghetti-code php script kiddy
42 saying that unescaped MySQL queries "always worked for them before".
43 Well of course it has. And so have your SQL injections.
44
45 Same goes for the jackhammer script and your circular breakages.
46
47 ====
48
49 Trolling aside, it's been more than a year since deadline creep (and a
50 case of excessive HP laptop heat) forced my hand away from gentoo and
51 the compile cycle.
52
53 I'm pleasantly surpised about the changes I'm hearing out in emerge.
54 emerge -e without no, or only a handful of breaks? I'll have me some
55 thanks. :))
56 --
57 This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [x] social
58 Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
59 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none