From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best route forward?
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 22:50:20
1 Jesús Guerrero wrote:
2 >
3 > There are two kind of kde installs, or three, if you ask me.
4 >
5 > You can install "kde". That will pull into your system the big
6 > packages just like they are released by the kde team. That means,
7 > several big monoliths, like kdebase, kdenetwork, kdegraphics and so on.
8 >
9 > You can install using split ebuilds as well. For example, instead
10 > of installing kdebase, you only need a couple of programs. So, you
11 > just install, let's say, konqueror and konsole, instead of kdebase.
12 > Of course, you can install all the pieces of kdebase using split
13 > ebuilds, and both installs would be equivalent. The downside is that
14 > you would need to install lots of small packages, instead of a big
15 > monolithic one.
16 >
17 > That way you save some space, but, what's more important for me, you
18 > save hours of compilation for things that you will never use.
19 >
20 > The other solution is to use meta-ebuilds. For example, you can
21 > install kdebase-meta, instead of kdebase. This is kind of an "hybrid"
22 > approach. When you emerge kdebase-meta, you end with the same that you
23 > would get by installing kdebase, but it will be done using split
24 > ebuilds. The good thing is that you will still get the modulatiry,
25 > without having to install all the split ebuilds by hand, because
26 > the meta-package pulls all of the components of kdebase but using
27 > split ebuilds as dependencies.
28 >
29 > So, you already know why you are getting that big list of packages to
30 > install: you are not going to get anything more if you install those
31 > packages, because they are a split version of the big kde packages
32 > you already installed.
33 >
34 > The blockers are simple to understand: you can't have kdebase and
35 > kdebase-meta installed at the same time. They are equivalent, it
36 > would be a nonsense anyway. So, all the components of a given meta-
37 > package, block the matching monolithic package. That way portage
38 > can prevent weird things like the one you were trying to do :)
39 >
40 > I hope it made sense, if not, ask for clarification.
41 >
42 > Regards.
45 Could he just unmerge kdebase then emerge kdebase-meta? I don't mean to
46 uninstall all the KDE stuff he has already compiled but just the little
47 one that pulls in all the other packages.
48
49 Dale
50
52 --