From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 14:21:07
1 On 2013-08-05 10:10 AM, Anthony G. Basile <basile@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 > On 08/05/2013 06:19 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >> That might be the systemd upstream view point, but definately isn't mine.
4 >> Fact is that udev can be built and ran standalone without systemd and
5 >> you don't need eudev for that.
6
7 > For now.
8
9 And this is ultimately my primary concern. After reading the huge
10 threads surrounding this debacle, I wouldn't trust Lennart (or the other
11 systemd devs) on any promise to not remove this ability at a later date.
12
13 > And you get a ton of bloat.
14
15 And this is the second concern. Both of these are why I decided to go
16 with eudev. I looked at mdev, but it looked a lot more complicated to
17 get right than eudev (correct me if I'm wrong someone).
18
19 Thanks again Anthony for your work maintaining eudev for 'the rest of
20 us'... :)