From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 14:07:53
1 On 08/05/2013 06:19 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > On 04/08/13 05:56, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >> On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 05:02:39AM +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote
4 >>
5 >>> Looking forward to lastrite sys-fs/eudev just like
6 >>> sys-apps/module-init-tools already was removed as unnecessary later on.
7 >>
8 >> You want eudev removed, and Lennart Poettering wants udev on
9 >> non-systemd systems dropped. Add those two items together, and we get
10 >> systemd rammed down our throats...
11 >>
12 >> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-August/006066.html
15 >>> (Yes, udev on non-systemd systems is in our eyes a dead end, in case
16 >>> you haven't noticed it yet. I am looking forward to the day when we
17 >>> can drop that support entirely.)
20 > That might be the systemd upstream view point, but definately isn't mine.
21 > Fact is that udev can be built and ran standalone without systemd and
22 > you don't need eudev for that.
23
24 For now. And you get a ton of bloat. I removed over 300 unused
25 functions. Furthermore, there is a problem with iface renaming which
26 Ian solved and legacy features are not there. We will continue to
27 support a bootable system with separate /usr without need for an intramfs.
28
29 But most importantly, you have a different upstream with a different
30 attitude towards the users. Even if the codebase were identical, this
31 makes all the difference to those who want a system the way they want
32 and not the way systemd upstream wants. Your arguments have been
33 ineffective at convincing people because you dismiss this critical point.
36 > If udev upstream makes it impossible to build, or run it standalone then
37 > we need to patch or fork it -- but that's far from now.
38 > In any case there will always be sys-fs/udev and it will never require
39 > sys-apps/systemd.
40 > Futhermore sys-fs/udev will be the default for long as sys-apps/openrc
41 > is the default.
42 >
43 > I mean, why the heck fork something too early when upstream still
44 > supports udev on non-systemd init systems?!
45 >
46 > - Samuli
50 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
51 Chair of Information Technology