From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Keyboard is dead after emerge-update
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 15:29:00
1 On 23/03/2016 16:39, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2016-03-23, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Most users in this day and age would probably reply "why do I need to
5 >> start with different resolutions and colour depth?"
6 >
7 > When using different display hardware: LCD projector, TV, etc.
8
9 xorg and plasma's monitor control thingy *always* finds the correct
10 resolution for me. Admittedly, I might just have been lucky and thus far
11 only used devices with accurate EDID info.
12
13 If I ever do need to tweak resolution (and it's been *years*), the
14 plasmoid has those controls. I can't recall when last I tweaked colour
15 depth, or if I've ever done it, or even what it's for anymore...
18 >> It's been many years since I myself fiddled with any of that, all my
19 >> displays are now LCD where only one resolution makes any sense - native
20 >
21 > If you've got multiple displays, "native" isn't really enough info.
22 > Do you want to mirror a single screen, do you want multiple screens,
23 > do you want a single screen spread across multiple displays, and so on...
24
25 There are three setups I use often:
26
27 - laptop only, no external monitor, only 1920x1080 internal
28 - at home with 22" 1920x1080 external plus internal screen on
29 - at work with 2500x1400 external on the left and 1920x1080 external on
30 the right, internal screen off
31
32 Every time I plug or unplug a monitor, xorg, plasmoid and XRandR all do
33 their thing, recognize which monitor it is (not just the resolution) and
34 five me what I had last time. 99% of the time that's what I want.
35
36 When I plug in a new device for the first time, the plasmoid opens so I
37 can drag 'n drop and configure what I want in real time. And it always
38 just works. Contrast that with fiddling with xorg config files back when
39 I still had CRTs <shudder>
40
41 I stopped fiddling with xorg configs and startx when it dawned on me
42 that all the fancy scripts in the world didn't help a jot if X itself
43 wasn't working. So I might as well use X apps to do that part too.
44
45 Were I to use separate X screens I might need to do what you do, but
46 that's something I only ever did once, and quickly realized I didn't
47 need it - I much prefer one screen spread over all display devices.
48 Suits how this brain is wired
51 Alan McKinnon
52 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com