From: Catalin Grigoroscuta <c.grigoroscuta@×××××××××.ro>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to safely unmerge a package
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:33:00
1 Paul Varner wrote:
2 >> However, there are two problems with equery:
3 >> 1. it disregards the use flags. equery depends <package> displays all
4 >> packages that may depend on a package, not the ones that really do on my
5 >> system.
6 >> I remember seeing something in bugzilla about this issue, but is was
7 >> marked as fixed, but I could not figure out in which version (I have the
8 >> latest gentoolkit).
11 > Can you give me an example? I'm not sure that I understand the issue.
14 Let's take the package gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-1.2.3.
15 It depends on mozilla package only if the mozilla use flag is set (and
16 ssl) - thus, you can see "ssl? ( mozilla? ( www-client/mozilla )" in the
17 ebuild.
18 I do not have "mozilla" use flag set, and evolution-data-server-1.2.3 is
19 also compiled without this flag.
20 However, when I run "equery depends mozilla", I get
21 "gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-1.2.3".
22 Note that "equery depgraph evolution-data-server" does not show mozilla,
23 so this works correctly.
24 >> 2. it disregards the virtual packages. According to equery, I cas safely
25 >> remove xorg-x11 (!), because no one depends on it! But if I do so, all
26 >> packages depending on the virtual x11 package would be broken.
27 >>
28 >> So, considering this, can someone point out how can I safely remove a
29 >> package?
32 > That is because the packages don't depend on xorg-x11, they depend on
33 > anything the provides the functionality of X. An equery depends
34 > virtual/x11 will show all of the packages that are dependent upon X.
35 >
36 > I have noted this as a potential enhancement to have equery look at the
37 > provides information and display the dependencies of the provided
38 > virtual.
41 I do understand that they don't depend on xorg-x11, but on the xirtual
42 package.
43 However, since "equery depends xorg-x11" shows nothing, I might think
44 that it's safe to remove it - I have no way of knowing that this will
45 break all packages that depend on x11.
46 So, what is a potential enhancement from your point of view is really a
47 bug from mine - it's useless to know the direct dependencies on a
48 package if I do not know the "hidden"dependencies through virtual
49 packages. Note that qpkg worked correctly, showing dependencies on
50 virtual packages as well.
51 > Regards,
52 > Paul
55 Regards,