From: Paul Varner <fuzzyray@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to safely unmerge a package
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:18:38
1 On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 14:25 +0200, Catalin Grigoroscuta wrote:
2 > But now, qpkg does not exist anymore, and I've read it was replaced by
3 > equery.
4
5 See other messages for how to get qpkg back.
6
7 > However, there are two problems with equery:
8 > 1. it disregards the use flags. equery depends <package> displays all
9 > packages that may depend on a package, not the ones that really do on my
10 > system.
11 > I remember seeing something in bugzilla about this issue, but is was
12 > marked as fixed, but I could not figure out in which version (I have the
13 > latest gentoolkit).
14
15 Can you give me an example? I'm not sure that I understand the issue.
16
17 > 2. it disregards the virtual packages. According to equery, I cas safely
18 > remove xorg-x11 (!), because no one depends on it! But if I do so, all
19 > packages depending on the virtual x11 package would be broken.
20 >
21 > So, considering this, can someone point out how can I safely remove a
22 > package?
23
24 That is because the packages don't depend on xorg-x11, they depend on
25 anything the provides the functionality of X. An equery depends
26 virtual/x11 will show all of the packages that are dependent upon X.
27
28 I have noted this as a potential enhancement to have equery look at the
29 provides information and display the dependencies of the provided
30 virtual.
31
32 Regards,
33 Paul