From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mkfs.reiserfs hangs system?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 03:31:15
1 On Apr 26, 2013 9:46 AM, "Mark David Dumlao" <madumlao@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:08 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
4 > > Can't get to see dmesg, the system locked up tight.
5 > >
6 > > I can create an ext4 fs on a different partition, and since the 'disk'
7 is
8 > > actually a RAID array, if the array is going south, I should see the
9 same
10 > > problem with ext4, right?
11 >
12 > I am guessing that mkreiserfs happens to touch parts of the disk that
13 > mke2fs doesn't, and that the system hangs because the disk becomes
14 > unresponsive. I will predict that mkntfs, which by default zeroes out
15 > the partition, will fail similarly?
16 > --
17 > This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [x] social
18 > Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
19 > Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none
22 Okay, everybody, thanks for all the input!
23
24 Since this is a server in my office, I couldn't test until I arrive in my
25 office.
26
27 I'm now (just) arrived in my office, and I will try the following:
28
29 1. Create Reiserfs on a different partition, and
30
31 2. Create a different fs on the problematic partition.
32
33 I'll report back with what happened.
34
35 Rgds,