From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 01:03:25
1 On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
4 >> Please, somebody, tell me all this HAL stuff is straightforwardly
5 >> explained in an easily accessible Gentoo document, so that I can hang my
6 >> head in shame and apologise for the noise!  ;-)
7 >
8 > I believe you'll be hearing from Dale in the near future. :)
9 >
10 > HAL-in-xorg-in-a-nutshell: If you're using an ordinary desktop system,
11 > you shouldn't need to manually do anything. Just run X as usual and it
12 > should work.
13
14 While I think this is what people believe, I must point out that for
15 it work automatically the system needs to be supported by whatever
16 version of drivers support the graphics device in the system.
17
18 I just got a DH55HC motherboard with the i5-661 processor which does
19 some or most of the VGA function. For that device to be discovered and
20 run automatically I would have had to use stuff that's marked ~amd64
21 which I generally don't do and in this case didn't because it became a
22 waterfall of things getting unmasked.
23
24 So, if you're supported it will work. If you're not because this is
25 new hardware then you still need xorg.conf.
26
27 Cheers,
28 Mark