From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 00:08:25
1 On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Please, somebody, tell me all this HAL stuff is straightforwardly
3 > explained in an easily accessible Gentoo document, so that I can hang my
4 > head in shame and apologise for the noise! ;-)
5
6 I believe you'll be hearing from Dale in the near future. :)
7
8 HAL-in-xorg-in-a-nutshell: If you're using an ordinary desktop system,
9 you shouldn't need to manually do anything. Just run X as usual and it
10 should work. You can further customize behavior from inside
11 Gnome/KDE/whatever using their configuration tools.
12
13 Obviously that doesn't always work, at which point you'll then need to
14 start editing stuff. But I wouldn't bother with it unless you're
15 unable to get into X for some reason. The first place to look is the X
16 log file, which contains info about the hardware it auto-detected.
17 There's also quite a bit of outdated info from when the transition was
18 taking place, much of it making things sound more complicated than
19 they really are. (I have not RTFM)
20
21 Are you able to get into X or is it failing?