From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout2/openrc question
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 19:27:02
1 On Thursday 04 February 2010 17:54:06 Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 > On 2/4/2010 6:05 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > How about a portage feature request?
4 > >
5 > > The contents of @system can have dependencies. Put a setting in a conf
6 > > file which means the system uses portage, therefore python is in @system.
7 > >
8 > > Without the setting, python does not get included in @system.
9 >
10 > Since the system package set is package manageragnostic, perhaps that's
11 > the wrong place to deal with dependencies for portage or whatever?
12 >
13 > The package manager itself should know enough to keep itself functional.
14 > It just seems odd that portage lets you use portage commands to break
15 > portage. If I wrote a package manager in C# (as a ridiculous example) I
16 > would probably make it smart enough not to let you remove mono.
17
18 Well, portage IS smart enough to not let you remove the toolchain or the C
19 library.
20
21 All of which is moot of course if the bloody compiler can't be launched
24 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com