From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: : Re: [gentoo-user] Endlessly growing xorg-session.log
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 08:42:48
1 On Tuesday, 11 September 2018 09:02:18 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote :
3 > > On Monday, 10 September 2018 09:49:16 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > > > Hello list,
5 [snip ...]
6
7 > > > It was mostly full of repetitions of this:
8 > > > [warn] epoll_wait: Bad file descriptor
9
10 The epoll API performs the task of waiting for some I/O event on a file
11 descriptor, blocking the thread if no events are yet available. I don't know
12 if the message "Bad file descriptor" is caused by your cache of file
13 descriptors containing some file descriptor which is no longer available (it
14 was closed by a subsequent event), but the cache has not been refreshed to
15 this effect. TBH this is well above my V limited understanding of kernel and
16 memory processing. It may have something to do with bad memory, bad
17 programming of some application which is using the epoll API (most likely), or
18 buggy kernel.
21 > > > I didn't have the patience to search backwards to find the last entry
22 > > before
23 > > > those, so I can't be certain what process was spamming me; I just have
24 > > > to assume it was sddm, since that's whose directory the log was in.
25 >
26 > Update: I had another Konsole open yesterday, from which I'd last issued an
27 > akonadictl restart command. Those warnings were scrolling by faster that I
28 > could read them.
29
30 You may want to close your kmail and run akonadictl in this fashion:
31
32 pkill kmail
33 akonadictl stop
34 akonadictl start
35 akonadictl fsck
36 akonadictl vacuum
37
38 waiting between each step until the messages printed on the terminal stop.
39
40 Finally restart kmail and hopefully your kmail/akonadi will behave normally
41 again.
44 Regards,
45 Mick