From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Tips/Tricks for Gentoo on low-spec computer?
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:58:03
1 On 2009-01-20, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2009-01-20, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >>> I believe he means that generally speaking, trying to build OO from source
5 >>> on a low-end (and especially low RAM) machine is ill-advised and can often
6 >>> be the cause of build failures as OO is well known to require a lot of RAM
7 >>> and hdd space while it compiles.
8 >>
9 >> I know it needs 5gb+ of tmpdir space, but compiling it with 256mb may
10 >> be futile :)
11 >
12 > It's been chugging away for about 30 hours now, so we'll see. :)
13
14 For the morbidly curious, he OOo emerge finished succesfully
15 after 34.77 hours. The machine has 256MB of RAM (PC133 SDRAM)
16 with 1GB of swap:
17
18 pavilion log # cat /proc/cpuinfo
19 processor : 0
20 vendor_id : GenuineIntel
21 cpu family : 6
22 model : 6
23 model name : Celeron (Mendocino)
24 stepping : 5
25 cpu MHz : 434.314
26 cache size : 128 KB
27 fdiv_bug : no
28 hlt_bug : no
29 f00f_bug : no
30 coma_bug : no
31 fpu : yes
32 fpu_exception : yes
33 cpuid level : 2
34 wp : yes
35 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
36 bogomips : 868.62
37 clflush size : 32
38 power management:
39
40 I don't yet know if OOo actually works (the machine is headless
41 and keyboardless at the moment).
45 Grant Edwards grante Yow! This MUST be a good
46 at party -- My RIB CAGE is
47 visi.com being painfully pressed up
48 against someone's MARTINI!!