From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Alternatives to knutclient
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 12:46:04
1 On 31/10/17 23:29, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 17:33:53 +0000
3 > Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >
5 >> In the UK at least also, we have ring mains. These are rated at 30 Amps,
6 >> from which you can take a 13 Amp feed from any socket. Once you start
7 >> taking power over multiple leads the wiring has more resistance, plugs
8 >> introduce resistance, etc, and the voltage can drop rapidly.
9 >
10 > I've never seen that, nor heard of it. It sounds like a major fire risk too,
11 > which the wiring regs would never countenance.
12
13 Sorry, no, I meant plugging one extension lead into another ... exactly
14 what you are NOT supposed to do.
15 >
16 >> (It is mandatory, according to code, if you hard-wire a feed off a ring
17 >> you must separate it with a 16 Amp fuse.)
18 >
19 > I don't recognise that either. It sounds like a special case to me. And
20 > where do I buy a 16A fuse?
21 >
22 Well, I've got several scattered over my house ... and my father-in-law
23 has at least one in his fuse box!
26 You would have thought it was easy to take a spur off of a socket that's
27 part of a ring main, but believe me, as an amateur sparky it's NOT! They
28 sell special points - often with a switch - to take a feed off a ring,
29 and they all have a - mandatory - 16Amp fuse. Or they might take a
30 standard 13Amp fuse.
31
32 My father-in-law has a spur coming off his fuse box, and that has a
33 16Amp fuse or circuit breaker, rather than the standard 30Amp. I did a
34 bit of wiring for him ages ago, and when I saw it, my immediate reaction
35 was "what the heck's that!" and I refused to touch it until I'd worked
36 out what was going on - very sensible advice with electric!
37
38 >> I've never seen one, but I would have thought a motor/generator pair
39 >> with a hefty flywheel would provide very good surge/spike/whatever
40 >> protection, and provide nice clean power. Plus, it would be unlikely to
41 >> burn out if you had to provide protection from several big consecutive
42 >> shocks, like a lightning strike.
43 >
44 > Just think of the noise though, and the expense.
45 >
46 Why should it be noisy, or expensive? Okay, you're turning electrical
47 energy into kinetic and back again, but a computer draws typically 2Amps
48 max. A box like that to provide clean power shouldn't be too bad.
49 (Actually, using something like that as the PSU to step down to 12V or
50 5V might be a good idea in areas of dirty power ... :-)
51
52 Cheers,
53 Wol