From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Sony Viao Vista and Gentoo
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:05:54
1 Albert Hopkins <marduk <at> gentoo.org> writes:
6 > 1. Boot with a live cd (or better yet RIPLinux on a USB stick).
7
8 RIP Linux looks very cool. No experience with this but, hey I'm going to
9 try and use this...
10
11 I'm not sure if Vista versus XP make any difference. In a recent post
12 on this list about grub one reader posted about the fact that with
13 Vista the boot.ini file is gone. I'm not sure that this effects your
14 proposed method?
17 > 2. Back up MBR, parition table, and partitions to DVD, network or
18 > external drive.
19 > 3. Use ntfsresize to shrink the XP partition, make sure it still
20 > boots.
21
22 Hmmm, I must have missed something. In step one you said to boot via
23 a liveCD or RIP linux. Now in step 3 you say to use ntfsresize. Is it
24 available on the liveCD (I never used it during an install)?
25 A few more details on this step would be useful.
26
27 > 4. Use the space left over from ntfsresize to create
28 > partition(s)/install Gentoo.
29
30 OK, at this point I'm still using the liveCD or does RIP linux
31 have tools for access into fdisk or such? (No experience with RIPLinux)
32
33 > 5. Install GRUB on the MBR.
34
35 > Worked for me. YMMV. I could have also removed the "utility" partition
36 > to get more space, since I do have a backup. But I left it on there as
37 > I don't really need the space.
38
39 If I thought that vista would not use something in the hidden partition
40 that would effect the linux partitions (such as Vista thinking those
41 linux partitions are corrupt and need conditioning or reformatting) then
42 I might be inclined to leave the hidden Vista restoration partition. But
43 it could not be used (could it) as it would just restore the original
44 factory partitioning scheme......?
47 Not so sure about this...
48
49 James