From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sony Viao Vista and Gentoo
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:31:37
1 Last year I bought a Dell Inspiron that did not come with any software
2 cd. The drive, came with XP pre-installed as well as a "recovery"
3 partition that you could use to restore the XP partition to factory. Of
4 course it runs Gentoo. What I did was:
5
6 1. Boot with a live cd (or better yet RIPLinux on a USB stick).
7 2. Back up MBR, parition table, and partitions to DVD, network or
8 external drive.
9 3. Use ntfsresize to shrink the XP partition, make sure it still
10 boots.
11 4. Use the space left over from ntfsresize to create
12 partition(s)/install Gentoo.
13 5. Install GRUB on the MBR.
14
15 Worked for me. YMMV. I could have also removed the "utility" partition
16 to get more space, since I do have a backup. But I left it on there as
17 I don't really need the space.
20 Albert W. Hopkins
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list