From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Error during boot up.
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 14:14:41
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Friday, 21 December 2018 13:08:20 GMT Dale wrote:
3 >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >>> On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 08:28:25 +0000, J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 >>>> Considering that they, like all SSDs have a limited write cycle, I only
6 >>>> use mine for the compiled software. I still use a tmpfs for compiling.
7 >>> Modern SSDs should outlive a hard drive, and have done so here.
8 >> Any tips to know which are new and which are not? Model number enough
9 >> or is there more to it than that? I've seen old stock for sale before.
10 >> It is new since it hasn't been used but may have been on a shelf for a
11 >> while.
12 > I gave you one model that's apparently safe to use. I assume that anything
13 > that postdates, say, 2015 would be as well.
14
15 I've found some of those listed and they are not priced bad at all.
16 Froogle helps.  Having a date helps tho.  It seems if its made very
17 recently it is good.  That's good to know.
21 >> I've got plenty of ventilation but do these things produce a lot of
22 >> heat? Use more power than a regular hard drive? I'd think not but curious.
23 > I've no information on that.
27 Given I don't see heatsinks on any of them, I figure they don't produce
28 much heat or consume much power at all.  I've been looking at them more
29 since last post, I've yet to see a heatsink.  I've only been looking at
30 smaller ones but still, if it produced much heat, it would have some
31 means of cooling.
32
33 This is going to make my todo list yet.  LOL
34
35 Thanks.
36
37 Dale