From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: The end of
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 20:09:09
1 Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
5 > > Surely we have a container project now, but no
6 > > active cluster herd or project.
9 > In any FOSS activity the #1 issue tends to be people willing to do the
10 > work. If we have that, then there is no reason to let anything else
11 > stand in the way. There are devs who are willing to proxy-maintain,
12 > and if you just need a dev to put a page up on the wiki to call it a
13 > project I'm sure somebody would be willing... Rich
16 Well well well. Thank you for standing up. I'm going to privately
17 work on this (cluster folks, java folks and science folks) whilst
18 your team of devs figures out the final configuration of
19 devs/projects/bug-wranglers. If you guys are successful in pulling this off,
20 I have
21 noticed several corporations with many gentoo-java-ebuilds that might
22 throw a few crumbs our way. Java has sunken to such a low level on
23 gentoo, that companies that use Java && Gentoo rarely bother with
24 contributing back. I cannot speak for them, but I know they watch
25 and listen from time to time. Java is every bit as big and important
26 as python is, from a worldly perspective. Gentoo_ers that wish to
27 be relevant, cannot merely wish this away. Java is a fundamental, enabling
28 technology and it should be robustly supported by those within gentoo
29 that care (Despite anything Whoracle does). Yes I am stepping up for this
30 need, mostly because it is in my critical path now. I guess I'm acting
31 like a dev now? Cursed-Beloved?
32
33 I'm most willing to support others that want to pursue the cluster work that
34 is needed. I shall give them every opportunity to lead (those of us newer to
35 the cluster arena). But in the end, I'm about getting the work done one way
36 or another.
37
38 I do appreciate you and Michael for your efforts on this and other
39 gentoo issues. I'm trying to be "collegial" but, I have my viking
40 heretical issues, like some other over_achievers we all know.....
41 One way or another we'll have a robust gentoo cluster offering; I'm just not
42 sure how long it will take, but we are going to have some fun!
43
44 Maybe we'll run cinelerra/blender on the gentoo clusters and build some
45 "anime" comics of the gentoo dev characters? Clustering will be
46 a blast! There is one who has done amazing things with clustering
47 codes and anime on gentoo clusters already;
48 but he remains aloof from gentoo.
49 He is also quite young.
52 thx,
53 James