From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rsync backup system
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:08:05
1 On Thursday 25 February 2010 17:15:36 Ward Poelmans wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 21:51, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > It looks interesting, and no program is that good that alternatives
4 > > should never be considered, but I really like the way BaclupPC works.
5 > > Everything is handled by the server, all you need to do on each client is
6 > > copy the backuppc user's public key to /root/.ssh/authorized_keys.
7 >
8 > Well, that's one of the things i don't like. Is there backup software
9 > where the client does the backup to the server and not the server
10 > fetching the backup from the client? I can't find a good way to take
11 > regular backup's from laptop that come and go.
14 Never mind the massive security issues resulting from the backup server
15 logging into the clients with a passphrase-less key, AS ROOT.
16
17 Which means you now have to open up root logins over ssh on the clients.
18
19 And someone gets into your backup server, BANG! instant pwnage of every single
20 machine on your network. Heck, you don't even have to try and compromise the
21 local root account, you already have full unfettered access to everything
22 anyway. Worse, I'll bet the server software runs as an unpriviledged user, so
23 you can just bypass the bit where you have to compromise root there as well.
24
25 It all looks like a classic case of sacrificing any and all security in the
26 name of mere convenience. I have the same running battle at work, some idiot
27 (probably in marketing getting a kickback) wants me to run a frigging JAVA
28 backup app on my mission critical servers, the ones with 500+ users on them
29 most of them chancers of the first order. They didn't understand the irony
30 when I suggested I should just dispense with passwords and keys altogether and
31 chmod -R 777 /
32
33 A much better way is to run a dedicated agent on the client. If the server
34 needs to schedule backups, it can ask the agent to do so using regular tcp
35 traffic. The client can then do it's backup and rsync it over to the server
36 when it's done, and that push can be done as a regular user on both ends. The
37 actual backing up on the client must be done by root of course, no other user
38 has the necessary access.
43 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com