From: Jeff Cranmer <jcranmer01@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] realtek 8197 wireless card setup
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 05:18:12
1 On Friday 21 December 2007 09:21:03 am Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:45:26 -0500 Jeff Cranmer
5 >
6 > <jcranmer01@×××××××××.net> wrote:
7 > > > > The card I have is an 8197, not an 8187. I wonder if this is
8 > > > > part of the problem. Could it be that the kernel driver does not
9 > > > > support the 8197?
10 > >
11 > > [...]
12 > > At the moment, I think the key line in dmesg is .
13 > > phy0: RF calibration failed! 0
14 > >
15 > > If I could figure out what this line meant, and what I could do to
16 > > fix it, I might be on my way to a potential solution.
17 >
18 > Well, although you managed to bring it to a point where at least the
19 > driver recognized the device, there is still the possibility it won't
20 > work anyway. My guess here is that the driver does not fully support
21 > your device. Probably, some back end mechanics is different. WLAN cards
22 > often consist of separate modules, some of them even being small
23 > computers running a firmware. I guess at that point your hardware
24 > differs from what the driver supports.
25 >
26 > Did you find indications on the Web that the 8187 driver should work
27 > for the 8197? Or did you chose to try based on the similarity of the
28 > two numbers? you might also want to try asking on the driver's mailing
29 > list.
30 >
31 > -hwh
32
33 I think I'm getting closer now.
34 I removed the driver from the kernel, and installed ndiswrapper.
35 I got the inf driver from a guy from realtek, and used
36 ndiswrapper -i drivername.inf to install it.
37
38 Now, when I run
39 iwlist wlan0 scanning, I can actually see my access point listed, plus lots of
40 other local wireless networks.
41
42 connecting to it is a different matter, however, as the connection always
43 appears to time out. I'm using iwconfig to manually set the ESSID, wep key
44 etc. at the moment, and have tried the trick of setting the speed manually to
45 5.5M to avoid timeouts.
46
47 When I try to run dhcpcd wlan0 the first time, I get Error, wlan0: timed out
48 The second time I try to run it, I get an error because dhcpcd is already
49 running.
50
51 Also, when I try running /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start, I get the error
52 WEP key is not set for "my_wireless_network_name" - not connecting
53 followed by similar errors for other nearby wireless networks, then
54 * Couldn't associate with any access points on wlan0
55 * Failed to configure wireless for wlan0
56
57 Damn, this has to be the most frustrating thing I've tried to do on gentoo.
58 I know I'm close, because the OS can now see the access point. All I need to
59 do is stop it timing out and connect to it :-/
60
61 Jeff
62 --
63 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list