From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] realtek 8197 wireless card setup
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 14:26:56
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:45:26 -0500 Jeff Cranmer
4 <jcranmer01@×××××××××.net> wrote:
5
6 > > > The card I have is an 8197, not an 8187. I wonder if this is
7 > > > part of the problem. Could it be that the kernel driver does not
8 > > > support the 8197?
9 > [...]
10 > At the moment, I think the key line in dmesg is .
11 > phy0: RF calibration failed! 0
12 >
13 > If I could figure out what this line meant, and what I could do to
14 > fix it, I might be on my way to a potential solution.
15
16 Well, although you managed to bring it to a point where at least the
17 driver recognized the device, there is still the possibility it won't
18 work anyway. My guess here is that the driver does not fully support
19 your device. Probably, some back end mechanics is different. WLAN cards
20 often consist of separate modules, some of them even being small
21 computers running a firmware. I guess at that point your hardware
22 differs from what the driver supports.
23
24 Did you find indications on the Web that the 8187 driver should work
25 for the 8197? Or did you chose to try based on the similarity of the
26 two numbers? you might also want to try asking on the driver's mailing
27 list.
28
29 -hwh
30 --