From: Jeff Cranmer <jcranmer01@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] realtek 8197 wireless card setup
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 23:52:38
1 On Thursday 20 December 2007 03:40:07 am Mick wrote:
2 > Hi Jeff,
3 >
4 > On Wednesday 19 December 2007, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
5 > > I have checked, and ndiswrapper and the rtl8187 package were
6 > > uninstalled. I think that the problem I have may be more basic.
7 > >
8 > > The card I have is an 8197, not an 8187. I wonder if this is part of the
9 > > problem. Could it be that the kernel driver does not support the 8197?
10 > >
11 > > The attached weblink suggests that this may be the case:
12 > > http://www.datanorth.net/~cuervo/blog/2007/09/26/no-more-vista/
13 > >
14 > > Does anyone know how I can locate the equivalent code in the kernel and
15 > > perhaps perform a similar modification?
16 >
17 > (can you please stop top-posting, it makes reading of threads difficult in
18 > this mailing list).
19 >
20 > Your device may still be supported by the driver. The problem may exist
21 > with the wpa_supplicant. You could try commenting out the wpa_supplicant
22 > in your /etc/conf.d/net file and using net-wireless/wireless-tools instead.
23 > Then try again to see if it a)finds the access point (try iwlist wlan0
24 > scanning), b)associates with it (try iwlist wlan0 accesspoint) . Of course
25 > you will need to remove WPA from the AP. Should all this succeed you can
26 > work your way up from there.
27 >
28 > PS. I haven't managed to make wpa_supplicant work with my device rt2570usb
29 > for more than a year now, but haven't tried recently.
30
31 I tried removing any reference to wpa_supplicant. The
32 alternative /etc/conf.d/net configuration that I tried is:
33
34 essid_wlan0="mynetworkname"
35 channel_wlan0=( "2" ) # the channel my wireless card is presently set to
36 key_home=( "my_hex_WEP_key enc open" )
37 config_wlan0=( "dhcp" )
38 dhcpcd_wlan0="-I ''"
39
40 iwlist wlan0 scanning returns
41 wlan0 Interface does not support scanning : Network is down
42
43 iwlist wlan0 accesspoint returns
44 wlan0 Interface doesn't have a list of Peers/Access-Points
45
46 At the moment, I think the key line in dmesg is .
47 phy0: RF calibration failed! 0
48
49 If I could figure out what this line meant, and what I could do to fix it, I
50 might be on my way to a potential solution.
51
52 Jeff
53 --
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list