From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] broken seamonkey :(
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 23:40:03
1 Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Thursday, September 03, 2015 9:53:39 PM lee wrote:
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> since quite a while, seamonkey and its relatives are completely broken
7 >> when it comes to use self-signed certificates. They just refuse the
8 >> connection to the server, blocking you from accessing your email.
9 >>
10 >> Is there still no solution for this problem? I'm totally fed up with it
11 >> by now. At work, I have frozen seamonkey at version 2.31 and
12 >> thunderbird at some outdated version that still works with the
13 >> certificates. Googling for a solution doesn't reveal one, either.
14 >>
15 >> Now I need seamonkey to access the email, and I can't very well turn it
16 >> back to an outdated version just for that.
17 >>
18 >> BTW, if this won't be fixed, what are the replacements?
19 >
20 > This[1] is for firefox but should work similarly. Scroll all the way down to
21 > "bypassing the warning". There's also an about:config option, I *think* it's
22 > this one[2].
23
24 Thank you. The problem is that it doesn't let me add an exception. Only
25 the older versions do that. All options to add an exception are
26 disabled.
27
28 There is 'browser.ssl_override_behavior', the value of which is
29 2. Guessing by what that means from [2], that should allow me to add an
30 exception.
31
32 'browser.xul.error_pages.enabled' is enabled. There's also
33 'browser.xul.error_pages.expert_bad_cert', which is disabled. Let's see
34 what that does ... still cannot add an exception when I enable it. [3]
35 would indicate that it's advisable to set it to "true".
36
37 Restarting seamonkey after changing it doesn't help.
38
39 There's nothing wrong with the certificate, either. Older version work
40 just fine with it. Mutt works fine with it. Gnus works fine with it.
41 Evolution works fine with it. All of those are more recent than
42 seamonkey 2.31.
43
44 I could resort to unencrypted connections on the LAN to be able to
45 upgrade the browsers and MUAs --- for security reasons, ironically ---
46 but some ppl with laptops need to be able to connect from anywhere over
47 the internet. So omit all security and use VPN for those to make things
48 more secure by not using self-signed certificates but insecure
49 connections?
52 [3]: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.xul.error_pages.expert_bad_cert
55 > [1] https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/connection-untrusted-error-message
56 > [2] http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.ssl_override_behavior
59 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
60 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.