From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chroot: cannot run command `bin/bash': Exec format error
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:54:07
1 On Wednesday 22 February 2006 17:03, Bo Andresen <bo.andresen@×××××.com>
2 wrote about '[gentoo-user] chroot: cannot run command `bin/bash': Exec
3 format error':
4 > I have just purchased a new computer with a AMD Semphron 2800+ 64 bit
5 > processor. I am installing it following the gentoo handbook of the amd64
6 > architecture - only I am using the x86 minimal livecd (2005-r1) and the
7 > stage3-amd64-2005.1-r1.tar.bz2 tarball. Shouldn that be a problem?
8
9 Definitely a problem.
10
11 > livecd gentoo # chroot /mnt/gentoo bin/bash
12 > chroot: cannot run command `bin/bash': Exec format error
13
14 Your 32-but kernel can't run the 64-bit bash. You'll have to use a 64-bit
15 kernel (or as 32-bit stage3, and then gradually recompile)
16
17 > I did use LVM2 for partitioning but other than that I have followed the
18 > handbook very throughly. I hope someone has a solution. Please feel
19 > free to ask for any information that may be helpful.
20
21 If you have a little bit of free space, do a 32-bit install to a separate
22 LV. No need to really do a full install, just enough so you can compile a
23 64-bit kernel and install and configure your bootloader to load the 64-bit
24 kernel.
25
26 That should be as easy as lvcreate, format, mount, extract 32-bit stage3,
27 cp over /etc/resolv.conf, chroot, emerge <your_favorite>-sources,
28 cd /usr/src/<whatever>, zcat /proc/config.gz > .config, make oldconfig,
29 make, emerge grub, mount /boot, grub-install, make install, umount boot,
30 shutdown -r now.
31
32 (Maybe a few steps I'm missing, and I don't mess with (e)lilo.)
35 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
36 bss03@××××××××××.com
37 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy
38 --