From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network failed and weird error message
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 10:13:19
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 04/10/2013 23:52, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Do *NOT* remove lowspeed USB driver... unless you have a rescue USB
5 >> stick boot handy. I tried that a few years ago and found that my USB
6 >> keyboard and mouse stopped working. UHCI is used by Intel and VIA cpus,
7 >> according to the help in "make menuconfig". AMD may be OHCI, I don't
8 >> know.
9 >>
10 > It depends on the hardware on the motherboard, not on the CPU. Different
11 > cpus for the most part have matching chipsets and the USB implementation
12 > is in the chipset. USB1 had two implementations - uhci and ohci.
13 >
14 > If you have hardware that is usb1 only, then you need those drivers.
15 > These days, that is rare. These days, most motherboards have lots of
16 > usb2 ports and when you plug in a keyboard, they run in usb1 mode but
17 > still use the ehci driver to do it. I have a usb1 keyboard and mouse
18 > plugged into this laptop right now:
19 >
20 > $ lsmod | grep -i \[uo\]hci
21 > firewire_ohci 31868 0
22 > firewire_core 50381 1 firewire_ohci
23 > $ lsmod | grep -i ehci_hcd
24 > ehci_hcd 38782 1 ehci_pci
25 > usbcore 152800 7
26 > btusb,uvcvideo,usb_storage,ehci_hcd,ehci_pci,usbhid,xhci_hcd
27 >
28 > No [uo]hci. And the only machine I have left with usb1-only hardware
29 > dates from 2004, everything else uses only ehci and the lowspeed drivers
30 > are not even built.
31 >
32 > Dale changed his motherboard recently, presumably he knows what his
33 > chipset offers
36 This is the rig I built a few years ago. It has a Gigabyte mobo but it
37 hasn't been changed yet. I was planning on it but family issues moved
38 that from a burner to not even on the stove and cold as ice. This issue
39 just sort of popped up out of the blue. Also, I'm using the same kernel
40 I been using for a while now. 3.9.5-gentoo I been using that kernel
41 since the middle of June. I have tested newer ones but ran into other
42 issues, nvidia mostly.
43
44 My keyboard/mouse is very old school. PS/2. :-D
45
46 Dale
47
51 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!