From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network failed and weird error message
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 09:09:33
1 On 04/10/2013 23:52, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 09:35:33PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
3 >
4 >> OHCI is a USB 1.1 implementation, I can't imagine why you have it
5 >> loaded. Surely you do not have USB 1 only hardware? USB2 deals with that
6 >> nicely. It is possible that you have a shit storm of USB weirdness going
7 >> on and this in locking up the desktop. Try disabling USB stuff you don't
8 >> need and see what gives.
9 >
10 > Do *NOT* remove lowspeed USB driver... unless you have a rescue USB
11 > stick boot handy. I tried that a few years ago and found that my USB
12 > keyboard and mouse stopped working. UHCI is used by Intel and VIA cpus,
13 > according to the help in "make menuconfig". AMD may be OHCI, I don't
14 > know.
17 It depends on the hardware on the motherboard, not on the CPU. Different
18 cpus for the most part have matching chipsets and the USB implementation
19 is in the chipset. USB1 had two implementations - uhci and ohci.
20
21 If you have hardware that is usb1 only, then you need those drivers.
22 These days, that is rare. These days, most motherboards have lots of
23 usb2 ports and when you plug in a keyboard, they run in usb1 mode but
24 still use the ehci driver to do it. I have a usb1 keyboard and mouse
25 plugged into this laptop right now:
26
27 $ lsmod | grep -i \[uo\]hci
28 firewire_ohci 31868 0
29 firewire_core 50381 1 firewire_ohci
30 $ lsmod | grep -i ehci_hcd
31 ehci_hcd 38782 1 ehci_pci
32 usbcore 152800 7
33 btusb,uvcvideo,usb_storage,ehci_hcd,ehci_pci,usbhid,xhci_hcd
34
35 No [uo]hci. And the only machine I have left with usb1-only hardware
36 dates from 2004, everything else uses only ehci and the lowspeed drivers
37 are not even built.
38
39 Dale changed his motherboard recently, presumably he knows what his
40 chipset offers
43 Alan McKinnon
44 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com