From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Random segfaults with kernel 2.6.27
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 03:16:30
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Andrey Falko wrote:
3 >> On 11/20/08, *Nikos Chantziaras* <realnc@×××××.de
4 >> <mailto:realnc@×××××.de>> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> As it happens, upgrading to kernel 2.6.27 was not the only change; I
7 >> switched from xf86-video-radeonhd to the proprietary ATI Catalyst
8 >> drivers. Didn't think that this has anything to do with it though.
11 >> I have a hunch that this is the problem. Have you tried 2.6.27 without
12 >> the proprietary ATI drivers?
13 >
14 > I'll be running tests on this with various combinations
15 > (2.6.26/2.6.27/Catalyst/open source radeonhd) and see what happens.
16 > Re-emerging a bunch of stuff should do it.
17
18 That was easier than expected. I've got segfaults every single time I
19 emerged mozilla-thunderbird. Both with kernel 2.6.26 as well as 2.6.27.
20
21 Reverting back to the open source radeonhd driver made this stop. This
22 is a serious issue because you'll get segfaults only if you're lucky.
23 If not lucky, bad machine code could be produced which on Gentoo being
24 source-based is the worst scenario imaginable.