From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Random segfaults with kernel 2.6.27
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 02:37:05
1 Andrey Falko wrote:
2 > On 11/20/08, *Nikos Chantziaras* <realnc@×××××.de
3 > <mailto:realnc@×××××.de>> wrote:
4 >
5 > As it happens, upgrading to kernel 2.6.27 was not the only change; I
6 > switched from xf86-video-radeonhd to the proprietary ATI Catalyst
7 > drivers. Didn't think that this has anything to do with it though.
10 > I have a hunch that this is the problem. Have you tried 2.6.27 without
11 > the proprietary ATI drivers?
12
13 I'll be running tests on this with various combinations
14 (2.6.26/2.6.27/Catalyst/open source radeonhd) and see what happens.
15 Re-emerging a bunch of stuff should do it.
18 > This is the first thing I would suspect
19 > because ATI drivers are not reputed --- or so I believe --- for being
20 > the best quality software out there.
21
22 They are reputed to be one of the most broken (from packaging, install
23 scripts up to the actual binary blobs) ever produced ;P Too bad they're
24 the *only* choice on modern cards. No 3D (or even accelerated 2D)
25 support with any open source driver for HD4xxx series cards. It's one
26 of those things you hate to the bone but can't do without due to AMD's
27 refusal to open source them so we can fix them.
30 > Either way, we need to eliminate as
31 > many factors as possible and one of these factors is your ATI driver
32 > change. I don't know much about Prime95, but if it won't simulate a
33 > subtlety in your video drivers, especially how proprietary ATI drivers
34 > will play with kernel 2.6.27.
35
36 Yes, Prime doesn't touch the GPU. It stresses CPU, northbridge and RAM
37 only.