From: Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Random segfaults with kernel 2.6.27
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 02:20:32
1 On 11/20/08, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > As it happens, upgrading to kernel 2.6.27 was not the only change; I
4 > switched from xf86-video-radeonhd to the proprietary ATI Catalyst drivers.
5 > Didn't think that this has anything to do with it though.
8 I have a hunch that this is the problem. Have you tried 2.6.27 without the
9 proprietary ATI drivers? This is the first thing I would suspect because ATI
10 drivers are not reputed --- or so I believe --- for being the best quality
11 software out there. Either way, we need to eliminate as many factors as
12 possible and one of these factors is your ATI driver change. I don't know
13 much about Prime95, but if it won't simulate a subtlety in your video
14 drivers, especially how proprietary ATI drivers will play with kernel
15 2.6.27.