From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Random segfaults with kernel 2.6.27
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 01:24:26
1 Andrey Falko wrote:
2 > On 11/20/08, *Nikos Chantziaras* <realnc@×××××.de
3 > <mailto:realnc@×××××.de>> wrote:
4 >
5 > I upgraded to kernel 2.6.27 (gentoo-sources-2.6.27-r3) yesterday.
6 > Today I experienced random segfaults during an emerge (twice during
7 > emerging mozilla-thunderbird; one time "as" (assembler) segfaulted,
8 > on the second try python segfaulted at the end of the emerge).
9 >
10 > Anyone noticing something similar? I'm reverting back to 2.6.26 for
11 > now.
15 > You do not see these segfaults on 2.6.26, right?
16
17 Correct.
20 > When I had the symptoms
21 > you described, it turned out that my RAM voltage needed to be raised in
22 > the BIOS.
23
24 Hmm. My system *is* overclocked (I'm one of those "enthusiast" guys).
25 I'm running an E6600 that runs 2.4GHz stock at 3GHz with a good
26 aftermarket cooler (temps never go above 48C at full load). The CPU is
27 overclocked and *undervoltaged* (1.29V from its 1.35V stock). The RAM
28 is both underclocked (to get an FSB:DRAM ratio of 1:1) and
29 undervoltaged. The system has been confirmed stable though; 8 hours
30 Prime95 stress test with no errors, which is much more of a stress test
31 than any real application can pull off. It also passes memtest.
34 > Do you run the proprietary nvidia-drivers? If you don't, run
35 > any software that taints the kernel, I'd file a bug with upstream kernel
36 > people: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/
37
38 As it happens, upgrading to kernel 2.6.27 was not the only change; I
39 switched from xf86-video-radeonhd to the proprietary ATI Catalyst
40 drivers. Didn't think that this has anything to do with it though.
41
42 Can you recommend a Linux program that does a stress test like Prime95
43 on Windows?