From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rkhunter reports xorddos component
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 13:51:14
1 Mick wrote:
2 > I noticed this beauty popping up a day ago:
3 >
4 > Rootkit checks...
5 > Rootkits checked : 498
6 > Possible rootkits: 1
7 > Rootkit names : xorddos component
8 >
9 > Fair enough the log reported a suspect file:
10 >
11 > ====================================
12 > Checking for file '/var/run/sftp.pid' [ Not found ]
13 > Checking for file '/var/run/udev.pid' [ Warning ] <==This one
14 > Checking for file '/var/run/mount.pid' [ Not found ]
15 > [snip ...]
16 >
17 > Warning: Checking for possible rootkit files and directories [ Warning ]
18 > Found file '/var/run/udev.pid'. Possible rootkit: xorddos component
19 >
20 > ===================================================================
21 >
22 > I think it is a false positive, because none of the files mentioned in the
23 > interwebs[1] are seen lurking in my system, but I thought it wiser to check
24 > further.
25 >
26 > [1] http://hackermedicine.com/linux-ddos-trojan-hiding-itself-with-an-embedded-rootkit/
29 > The rkhunter report of this xorddos component seems to have arrived with:
30 >
31 > sys-fs/udev-init-scripts-33
32 >
33 > or
34 >
35 > sys-apps/dbus-1.12.12-r1
38 > Could it be these versions are now launching /run/udev.pid? Is a file /run/
39 > udev.pid present in your system?
40 >
41 > In any case, the file merely contains the PID number of /lib/systemd/systemd-
42 > udevd, rather than an ELF binary and /etc/init.d/ does not contain anything
43 > suspicious. However, with armies generating variants of every conceivable
44 > malware I don't know if it pays to be a bit paranoid about this.
48 Little info here.  I don't run systemd here but I also have that file.
49 I checked with equery b but obviously nothing owns it since it is a pid
50 file generated when udev or something starts.  This is my versions of
51 udev, dbus and other friends:
54 root@fireball / # equery list *udev* dbus
55  * Searching for *udev* ...
56 [IP-] [  ] dev-libs/libgudev-232:0/0
57 [IP-] [  ] sys-fs/eudev-3.2.5:0
58 [IP-] [  ] sys-fs/udev-init-scripts-33:0
59 [IP-] [  ] virtual/libgudev-232:0/0
60 [IP-] [  ] virtual/libudev-232:0/1
61 [IP-] [  ] virtual/udev-217:0
62
63  * Searching for dbus ...
64 [IP-] [  ] sys-apps/dbus-1.10.24:0
65 root@fireball / #
68 Like you, I sort of suspect a false positive but I don't know nearly
69 enough to know for sure it is either.  Maybe someone else can chime in
70 and give more ideas.  If enough people say they have it, then either
71 someone is doing some coding on a very low level or it is a false
72 positive.  Let's hope for the later.
73
74 Dale
75