From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Another Install Issue
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 10:19:50
1 On Sunday 16 Oct 2011 11:05:55 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 16.10.2011 01:05, schrieb CJoeB:
3 > > Hi everyone,
4 > >
5 > > Well, thanks to the help I got from the list, I finally have Gentoo
6 > > installed on my new desktop and booting to a command prompt.
7 > >
8 > > However, now I have a networking issue.
9 > >
10 > > In past, when I booted to the install CD and my ethernet connection was
11 > > not active, I typed net-setup eth0 and was able to set it up. This
12 > > time, when I booted to the install CD and typed net-setup eth0, the
13 > > network card was not recognized. I googled and found a post where
14 > > someone said that they had to 'modprobe -r broadcom' and 'modprobe -r
15 > > tg3' and then 'modprobe broadcom' and 'modprobe tg3' and then, run
16 > > net-setup. I did this and then ifconfig returned my eth0 connection.
17 > >
18 > > Of course, later you have to do the cp -L /etc/resolv.conf
19 > > /mnt/gentoo/etc/ .... which I did and dhcpcd has been added to my
20 > > default runlevel.
21 > >
22 > > However, when I boot, eth0 does not start. I can start it manually by
23 > > doing 'modprobe -r broadcom' and 'modprobe -r tg3' and then 'modprobe
24 > > broadcom' and 'modprobe tg3'
25 > >
26 > > However, I would like to have my network started automatically.
27 > >
28 > > I do have config_eth0="dhcp" in my /etc/conf.d/net file
29 > >
30 > > Any suggestions?
31 > >
32 > > Colleen
33 >
34 > Hmm, a workaround would be a custom init script. Copy the following code
35 > into a new file in /etc/init.d (let's say /etc/init.d/broadcom-fix):
36 >
37 > #!/sbin/runscript
38 > description="Reload broadcom and tg3 modules to work around kernel bug"
39 > depend() {
40 > before net
41 > after modules
42 > }
43 > start()
44 > {
45 > ebegin "Reloading broadcom and tg3 modules"
46 > modprobe -r broadcom tg3 &&
47 > modprobe broadcom &&
48 > modprobe tg3
49 > eend $? "Failed to reload modules"
50 > }
51 >
52 > Make it executable (chmod 755) and add it to the default run level
53 > (rc-update add broadcom-fix default).
54 >
55 > Better try to start it manually before rebooting so you can be sure it
56 > works as expected.
57 >
58 > Hope this helps,
59 > Florian Philipp
60
61 This would be a workaround - the question is why does the module need to be
62 removed and reinstalled manually? Why isn't the kernel loading it at boot
63 time?
64 --
65 Regards,
66 Mick